Saturday, August 16, 2008

Chickens--Butchering Day.....

I purposely didn't autoplay this slideshow because it shows a lot of details in the butchering of the chickens. If you aren't into looking at that sort of thing you may not want to push play. Believe it or not, A LOT of people said "I want to see that" when they found out Luke was going to be a "Chicken Farmer." So here are pictures to prove that he can do it. (Thanks Leah for taking these) We honestly can't take too much credit for raising these chickens our friends were VERY generous in allowing us to buy chickens with them, and then raising them at their house. Luke did help clean the barn a few times but other then that we weren't too involved. We have eaten a few of these chickens and the meat is quite tasty!



The pictures of Eli were taken during this quite eventful day. He was a great baby and super patient while mommy was busy packaging the chicken. Oh--I forgot to mention that they were able to butcher all 48 chickens in a day. I somehow got the easiest and cleanest job of vacuum packaging the meat in its final stage of preparation. Lucky me!

6 comments:

Dana said...

Why actually raising them yourselves? Why not just buy the meat in the store? It is pretty gross. I would rather have chickens for the eggs. Fresh eggs are yummy so I guess fresh meat would be yummy too.

Icarus said...

I had to laugh when I saw he was wearing a white shirt. :)

Eric and Shelene said...

Chicken Killer!! We actually had some chickens when I was a kid. One of them pecked me on the nose. Then we ate him.

Anonymous said...

The second photo of Elijah looks SOOOOO very much like your dad, Kristen. Way cute!

I'm not so sure I'd agree that you got an EASY job of packaging the chicken. I do agree it was certainly cleaner. Grma P

Sarah Hastings said...

That is the grossest but coolest thing I have ever seen. All I have to say is that I am VERY impressed, we have an old chicken coop in our backyard and for awhile I entertained the idea of getting chickens. However, I came to terms and realized I would not be up for killing them, not that I am attached to them but I hear the process really smells and I don't do smells if I can help it.

Rick, Erin, and girls said...

You raise chickens? Just for yourself or do you sell them?