Monday, January 14, 2008

Do we make it too hard?

Tonight Kristen and I were discussing issues that are surrounding the should-be happiness of some distant friends of ours. I say should-be because, for one reason or another, they have let themselves get misguided on the path of happiness, and, consequently, on the plan of the salvation. We then turned our thoughts to how we were raised and then how we would like to raise our children...which any day now will include two precious souls. I was reminded in our discussion of a wonderfully insightful talk given by Jeffrey R. Holland entitled, "A Prayer for the Children" (Liahona, May, 2003) Go to this link if you would like to read it in its entirety which I wholeheartedly recommend.
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=6d2fee9ba42fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
Anyway, he discusses how too often well-meaning parents lead their children astray. Quoting Richard L. Evans he said, "Sometimes some parents mistakenly feel that they can relax a little as to conduct and conformity or take perhaps a so called liberal view of basic and fundamental things—thinking that a little laxness or indulgence won’t matter—or they may fail to teach or to attend Church, or may voice critical views. Some parents … seem to feel that they can ease up a little on the fundamentals without affecting their family or their family’s future. But,” he observed, “if a parent goes a little off course, the children are likely to exceed the parent’s example.”
After viewing the potentially eternally damaging effects of lack of teaching in our young friends' lives, we have resolved to wage the good fight throughout our life in helping our children, and their children, to hold to the truth that we have found that the world desperately searches for. We feel blessed to have been born into the church and to know for ourselves that we have a specific purpose in this life.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Ummmm...I'm scared to post a comment...I hope we aren't those long-distance friends you are talking about!! We're happy and good, I swear! ;)

Peless Family said...

Well since you don't accept phone calls from old friends 'after hours' I might just wonder where your priorities are. And all those pictures of New Year's Parties? Christopher, I think we need to talk buddy.