Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Thankful

I wanted to share my thoughts on my class today. Each day I begin the students with what I call a boardwork prompt. This is designed to give them around 10 minutes to write on the prompt or question I have posted on the board. Sometimes we share with eachother in groups or as a whole class. Today, while they were writing their prompts, I played Josh Groban's "Thankful" http://www.completealbumlyrics.com/lyric/132063/Josh+Groban+-+Thankful.html from his "Noel" Christmas album. While there were some chuckles of amusement (mostly from teenage male students) most listened attentively to the words and/or followed along with the lyrics on the Smartboard. Then, I discussed the blog my friends are doing called 100daysoflove. I didn't know the young man who died, but his story is quite touching. In class we discussed the fraility of life, but the importance to always keep looking for the good and positive and trying to make a difference in someone's life. I then played for them a clip from youtube from "Britains Got Talent." I learned of this phenomenal experience again from my friend's blog. It is worth watching the power of a dream. I simply have to keep seeing that there is so much that is good, or that can be good in this life if I will take the time to look for it. The bulk of news media hounds us with the negative so it becomes our duty to counter it with positivity. I learned a great lesson from my dad while he was here over Christmas. I have often commented to him about the need for more savings' plans and such for his and mom's retirement to no avail. However, what he told me this break made life make a whole lot more sense. He roughly said that it didn't matter to him what his bank account said as long as he could spend time with those that mattered most in his life. His motorcyle trip to Alaska with his brother was absolutely priceless. Him flying to see all his kids every year, being willing to be wherever he is needed is priceless. While we didn't have much money growing up, we always had memories and adventures as a family as my parents took their vacation time, not for themselves, but for us kids. As we drove thousands of miles each summer to unique spots in the lower 48 memories and experiences were forged that are worth more to me than all the money or interest that saving that money for later ever could. Thanks mom and dad for spending it on what mattered most...and for still spending your time on what matters most. You're both still teaching this son life's lessons.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Luke, I have felt very touched by your entries in your blog. Its so nice seeing positive things in peoples lives. I think many times for me I allow the outside world to drag me down. I bet the kids just love you at school.

Jim Peless said...

Wow. Awesome. Bodacious.

That was excellent, Luke.

tfs

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed places like the Badlands, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Arches National Park, etc., etc. in spending time with all four of you. The beauty of God's creations leaves me in awe of his love for us.