Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thoughts on Gifts


Let me set a scene for you. We were cuddled on the couch eating popcorn, munching on some of Mom's fresh baked and recently unfrozen chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies (thanks Mom. They are still great). My wife and I just finished watching "The Ultimate Gift" on our 30 year old tv, given to us by dear friends who left Alaska a year ago. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend this movie. It caused, rather, it allowed me to do much thinking and pondering while it played. I must admit, this movie did cause my eyes to be extremely dry, then they began watering freely to counter the dryness, so beware.



Some of the thoughts I had, however, related to the interactions we have with those around us. Being a teacher I see students every day from many walks of life. To those who don't understand being tied to your job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that is what teaching becomes...at least to me. Now, the reason for this posting is to reflect on what the movie did for me, and I am getting to that. You see, I have, for quite a few years, been very bothered by the commercialization gripping America and its families. Every holiday we have becomes one money spender after another. Kristen and I overheard one disheveled lady exclaim that, "that she would be happy when this was all over" meaning her Christmas shopping and the holidays. What have we allowed ourselves, collectively, to become? Too often people comment on how glad they were to get back from vacation, or be done with a holiday, because it was so stressful. How sad! I enjoyed, very much, my parents' visit up here for Christmas break. And even though our home is quaint, and it snowed alot and in my mom's words was "cold," the experiences we had as a family were priceless. Too often gifts are stressed over for days or months, only to be forgotten, broken, or discarded days after their giving. But the real gifts can never be taken away.

Recently, I became aware of another blog which is having a tremendous effect on me. It is located at http://www.100daysoflove.blogspot.com/ The story, true of course, is that an old college friend of mine and his wife had a friend who was diagnosed with a type of cancer and died exactly 100 days later. They have, in honor of his noble manner of dealing with the end of his life, created this blog to chart and measure each days' gift of love that they have witnessed.

This all leads me to my final thoughts on The truly Ultimate Gift that we each can give of ourselves to eachother. Our time. For instance, writing this blog has taken about 15 minutes, yet if someone's life is blessed by it, and even if not (because it is rather therapeutic for me), then it is worth it. I know that you might say, "But my life is different, I am soooooo busy . . ." but really that is simply an excuse. If your life is too busy to look around and find someone to help each day, then you need to scale back a bit or a lot. I once heard that excuses are like feet, everyone has them and they both stink. Now I didn't intend to preach on here because I am by no means perfect at this, but a blog is for one to express his or her thoughts-hence what I am doing. We worry about how big and new our latest TV is, how new our cars are, how big our house is, etc. , but all that can be taken in an instant. Do those you love really know it? Sure, you just sent a Christmas card and family photo (those are nice and ours is forthcoming), but did you pick up the phone or stop by for a visit and just let someone know they have made a difference? If not, then when? After all, the Savior, who was the real purpose 2000 years ago for Christmas didn't hesitate when he did what he did. And you want to know the best part, he would have done it if it had only been you or me, instead of the entire human race. He gave us his ultimate gift so that we could "go and do likewise."

2 comments:

Jim Peless said...

Well said.... and I concur. Someone once said, " I knew a Man who went about doing good......it is most disconcerting to me to be just going about." How often do we "just go about"...that is why I, like you, have a blog. I feel the need to do more...to serve others...in my final years on this beautiful home we call earth.

Keep up the blog - share with us - and we can all learn something. I learned today that I have to watch that movie soon as a cure for my dry eye syndrome. ;-)

Alicia said...

Luke, why on earth did you have to post that 100 Days of Love blog? Don't you know Sundays are for resting, not feeling the full extent of emotions you are capable of feeling?? Ok, I'm only joking, that was seriously inspirational as well as touching and motivating, a little bit stunning, and of course, very, very, very sad. Thanks for that link.