Thursday, April 23, 2009

The next chapter

 

5 years ago today, I was giddy with excitement and nervous as could be. I knew that the next day my life would be changed forever. I would graduate from college in the morning and later that evening be married to the man of my dreams. Oh what a day it was. Honestly, I don't know what we were thinking having such a busy day but I wouldn't have changed any of it.
For our honeymoon we made our way from Idaho Falls to, Pittsburg, California where we stayed through August. Luke was a bug boy there and sold pest control for a great company. I enjoyed my lazy days in the California sun while Luke worked like crazy everyday except Sunday.
Our next adventure would take us to ALASKA. When we were engaged we went to a job fair in Tacoma and met the HR director for the Kenai Penisula School District. He let us know how great Alaska was and just thought we would fit perfect in a little village called Tyonek. I taught grades k-2 and Luke taught grade 6-12 all subjects except math. We stayed busy with our first year of teaching and loved our time there. We had great people to work with and all became really good friends. We enjoyed watching The Amazing Race and always looked forward to our weekly game nights. While there we had a very slow paced life. Grocery shopping was a breeze we called or faxed in an order for groceries and it would come on a plane that afternoon. We also participated in church via a phonecall to a ward in Anchorage.

The next school year we were able to get jobs on the "roadsystem" and moved to Kenai. Luke taught English and Spanish in Nikiski and I taught first grade at Sears Elementary. During this year of teaching, Luke was the head wrestling coach, we were expecting a baby, luke started his Masters Degree and we bought a house---that we eventually made our home after a summer of lots of work.
In July our sweet Micali girl joined the family and I chose to stay home with her and let Luke bring home the bacon for our family.
Since then Eli joined our family a short 18 months, we moved to a new home 6 weeks later and are working to fix up another home.
Luke has been co-teaching with a great friend the last two years and has loved that.
He has however had a strong desire to continue his education and we both wanted to get back closer to family. In December we started looking for other job possibilities so we could fullfil these desires.
We have prayed throughout this search that we would be led to what would be best for our family, and were also very willing to stay here if it was what was best.
Two weeks ago Luke interviewed for a job in Monticello, Utah and we decided to accept the position. So our lives current chapter of living in Alaska is quickly coming to a close. We both think we will be back sometime though!I am excited for what lies ahead but, I have grown fond of the beauties that surround us here and will really miss them.
It has been a wonderful 5 years and I am excited to see what the next 5 years brings!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you guys! Enough said! ~Grma Peless

Katie said...

How in the world did Luke find Monticello, Utah!? What will he be teaching? Such a fun little town! Please tell him for me that my Mom grew up there and I still have a lot of family there and visit there often. In fact we'll be down there in September. You run into any Redds down there, that's my family. Anyway, you guys will love it. Good luck with the big changes that lie ahead.
-Katie (Rau) Holley

Ashley said...

I always wondered how you guys ended up in Alaska! How fun that you'll be coming back to the continental US! It's not quite the other side of the rainbow, but it's really a hop, skip and a jump from Utah to Kansas than Alaska to...anywhere, it seems.

I'm kinda sad to see you leave that house, though. I love seeing the projects you do together!

munyer jerk chicken said...

DITTO ;)

With the crazy wind blowing today, I kept looking out the window at the eagles playing on the bluff thinking, "I may not ever see this again!" and it made me sad. But in the next thought, I'd get excited about what I will experience and see. Good luck in all the preparations!!!

Icarus said...

Welcome back to the mainland!

Aaron, Cera, Jaylen and Gavin said...

Congratulations! That's too exciting! It'll be fun to have you closer! (I still haven't met your husband or kids!)

Dana said...

OH my heavens. I always thought you were happy being away from family because you seem like you love Alaska and were meant for it. I am happy for you guys but know it will be sad to be moving on. Kenai is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the people there are so awesome. That is something that cannot be duplicated.

-Rachel said...

I'm really excited for you guys to be able to go!... But we'll miss you so much!
Let me know if you need anything, or if I can watch the kids so you can pack. (I still owe you a ton of babysitting from December, and I'm running out of time to pay you back )

-Rachel said...

I'm really excited for you guys to be able to go!... But we'll miss you so much!
Let me know if you need anything, or if I can watch the kids so you can pack. (I still owe you a ton of babysitting from December, and I'm running out of time to pay you back )

Anonymous said...

It seems like if you love Alaska it will always be in your blood, its not an easy place to shake. But changes are always fun! And I wish for you and your family a beautiful future!

Ryan & Carly said...

Oh I am sad....and jealous! That is so exciting/scary! :) I will keep ya in my prayers. When do you head out? We need one more Tyonek reunion for sure!