Micali with the help of her mom and dad has decided to she wants to stop sucking her thumb. I read several different things online about how to help a child to stop sucking their thumb. Interestingly I found a lot of posts by grown adults saying “I am a proud thumb-sucker for life” GROSS!!
I did however find one post that was helpful. They suggested putting band-aids or tape on their thumbs because if they try to suck the thumb with tape it just doesn’t have the same effect.
Micali has a serious fear or hatred of band-aids so I knew I couldn’t tell her I was putting actual band-aids on her. The first night we all put on our “remember tape” (using athletic tape) on our thumbs and had a little, “Where is Thumbkin?” sing – along. I was glad when Micali finally fell asleep so I could take of the tape. It was super sticky and very annoying. Micali did great—it took her a little longer to fall asleep but she only woke up once in the night. In the morning she seriously wanted the tape off and wasn’t about to let me put anymore on her.
So, we went to the store in search of new “remember tape.” I was hoping for Disney princesses, or Hello Kitty or something but the only girlie band-aid there was Barbie. Micali thought it was wonderful and totally bought into it all over again. She slept through the night last night without waking up so I think we are getting somewhere.
Here are some pictures of her, all smiles, excited about her thumbs being taped up!
7 comments:
HUMMMM My 6 year old still sucks her fingers alot. I don't know if that would work with her. Seems to really be helping with your girl though.
I sucked my thumb for a while probably until I was six or so...had a big old thumb suckin bump on my thumb to prove it for a while. The bump finally went away and I think I just out grew the whole thumb suckin thing. I wouldn't worry too much.
I can't wait to go on our "date" to celebrate, Micali!!! We'll see you NEXT WEEK!!! I'm proud of you! ~Grma Peless
I've been meaning to look into that, becuase I don't know when or what the best way is to go about the thumb-sucking thing (Annabelle is very addicted). I will pocket that idea for later
I hadn't really thought about getting her to quit until Eli stopped cold-turkey after his tongue ulcers. A few of my siblings sucked their thumbs well into elementary and junior high even. They turned out alright. A lot of what I read says it has to be their choice or it could make it worse. If she does end up regressing....I guess we will have to rethink things!
I just hope she continues to sleep well for you! You know all good sleep was out the window for Tana when we stopped the finger sucking. But it was affecting her teeth, so it had to be done.
Post a Comment