Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A little craft project

It has been super cold here. It actually appears that it has been quite cold, snowy and icy a lot of places. But anyway, because the kids haven’t made it out of the house at all we decided to do something crafty.

I found this crayon melting craft and thought it might just be perfect for them. I imagined a long period of time with them just sitting at the table pulling paper off of the crayons—then putting them in the paper muffin liners. Eli sat down and held a crayon in his hand, he watched me peel a few and then asked for paper to draw a picture. After a few seconds of scribbling he was gone.

end of jan 061

Micali was SO excited. She pulled the paper off a few crayons and, kept telling me that this was such a great idea and she couldn’t wait to show her daddy. After three or four crayons she decided that I would be the peeler and she would decide which cup to put them in. She took the role of a cheerleader and kept telling me I was doing a great job and to keep going…….only a couple more. She loved moving the crayons around until they were just right. end of jan 059 end of jan 063

We put them in the oven and watched them melt, end of jan 075

then set them outside because it was just as cold as the freezer. While they were getting hard we brought out the paints to help entertain Micali while she waited for the new crayons to set up so she could use them.

end of jan 076

end of jan 081

We didn’t get pictures of the finished product but they turned out good and we had fun scribbling with them.

---Just as a side note—this doesn’t happen everyday. That is why I have to take so many pictures when I decide to be brave and try new things with the kids. Lucky for me the pictures don’t show the 4 loads of laundry on the couch waiting to be folded or the dishes in the sink waiting to be loaded. Sometimes it is better just to ignore that stuff and spend time being creative!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! You are such a good mommy!
KK

Anonymous said...

This happens WAY more at your house than it EVER happened in mine. YOu ARE a good mommy and the laundry and dishes were most likely still waiting for you after the kids were in bed. You're spending quality time with them and building loving memories. ~Grma P

Dana said...

I am in total agreement. The laundry isn't going anyway but your babies are!!!!

Angeline said...

I think your ideas was wonderful, and I too think your an amazing mom! Thayne, Aiden and I did this projec the day you posted it on facebook, it took about an hour and luckily Thayne was totally into peeling every crayon with me, he was intent on getting off all the wrappers, it was a nice quiet afternoon, I do wish I had a star mold to melt them in as they were a little wierd with being circular, and two of my kids thought it was a new kind of reeses peanut butter cup and tried taking bites out of em :) FUN, so glad you had a good time too!

Alicia said...

So fun - I love that you did that. I love that you mentioned the laundry - it seems I so often when I have an afternoon with my kids like that I just have a picture of perfection in my mind, like everything was just wonderful. Then I'll look back at pictures and see toys strewn all over the floor, laundry on the couch, dishes on the counter, etc... and I figure it's all about the memories, and all the household chores will get done at some point!