Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Even if you lose, you win.............

You win because you play!! These words have been going through my head all day today as we had our first experience with Potty Training. Micali's favorite show to watch is "Signing Time," and this happened to be the main song for the show she watched this morning. As I watched and ANXIOUSLY waited for her first signs that she needed to go potty I thought about these words over and over. Was I going to win or lose today?? Or was I in fact going to win just because I played? Well, it all seemed to be working out well. After plying her with snacks and drinks for about 45 minutes, she had an accident. So... Luke took her running from each room and area in the house (10 times in all) back to the potty where she helped pull down her wet panties and sat on the potty chair for about 2 miliseconds. Up go the panties, away they would run talking about practice going potty and how every family member imaginable will be so happy when Micali has dry panties. With dry panties on, Luke kept at the game and finally she went in the potty (after only one accident). It was like Niagara Falls after all the drinks she was offered. So she takes the pee-pee to the toilet, proudly flushes it and the party begins. She got to call Grandma Peless at work and tell her the good news. Then she got a sucker, cheetos, smarties, and every other good thing. She also got to dance two Reba songs with her daddy. She was beaming the whole time that this was her party. So we thought we were winning...until five accidents later had Luke ready to commit himself, Xander (our new pet Beagle) was sure he would be confined to the garage for life, and Eli was just oblivious. I took over for Luke to regain some patience and so he could cook dinner. All seemed lost but I believed in the song. Then, the exciting part. Micali wanted to take a bath and Luke took Xander for a run. In the middle of the bath she signed potty and after I placed her on the seat she went POO-POO!!!! And then she went again, and again and again. She had been holding it all day and every time we (Luke arrived home to see the evidence which she proudly said bye-bye to as she flushed it) put her back in the tub she would sign potty and poop some more in the toilet. It was a mother's dream come true. She was happy to be going potty, she could now be back in a diaper for bedtime, and we could get some mental and physical rest. But she went and that is the exciting part. The sad part is we think she might be allergic to Xander and so might have to take him back to the pound unless someone reading this wants a wonderful, awesome, excellent-family pet, fairly well trained already beagle to love and take care of.
Kristen and Luke contributed also.
P.S. You should have seen the party he threw for her. It was all smiles and dancing and eating.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Is this a new method of potty training? I have never heard of it. Its a movie they watch and you try all day long stuffing them with drinks and such? I tell you what though poop is the best thing to go in the toilet. I had a couple that had the poop under control and the pee not and I was okay with that until they figured it out.

Leacayoungart said...

Sorry I just smiled the whole time I read this.

Beagle, huh? Did not know that!