Thursday, October 16, 2008

A lesson learned from my Mother

For those of you who haven't been lucky enough to meet my mom, you should know she is an angel. She raised and is still raising 13 of us children. This blog could go on forever and explain all the lessons I learned from my mother but for now I will just let you know one of them.
  Yesterday morning I awoke to see lots of snow coming down. It was huge beautiful flakes. I remembered a few blustery cold days like it when I was growing up. On these especially cold days my mom would declare it a baking day. It was her way of keeping the house extra warm and cozy and we all enjoyed time in the kitchen together making and eating all sorts of yummy treats.
  I am glad my mom took the time to teach us how to bake yummy treats but, more importantly, how to make a potentially gloomy day full of fun and yumminess! I love you mom!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Those pictures have left my mouth absolutely WATERING. Did you make those?! I'm so impressed!

And THIRTEEN!? I must have lost track of the D's and the K's...

Dana said...

That certainly is a good way to make yourself not so gloomy. That was the first the I thought when I saw all the yummy goodness on your counters. I am sure they tasted yummy!!

Sarah Hastings said...

Mmmm, I wish I was visiting you right now! Those look devine, I need your recipe! Looks like Micali enjoyed the snow, kids are so fun!

Leacayoungart said...

you are so sweet and so is your mom. great post.

Anonymous said...

Kristen - What a wonderful tribute to your Mom (and well deserved!) It could just SO imagine the cold outside and the warm loving inside! The photos were perfect to convey the meaning and your love! I can't IMAGINE snow this early in the year!!! Love, Aunt Lois

munyer jerk chicken said...

wow... yeah, those photos are great. i'm sure the treats were even better. i might have to get your cinnamon roll recipe. i have yet to find a good one that i can handle.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Aunt Lois's comments! But I must say I have to get my eyes checked ~ yep, "leaking" AGAIN!!! Sorry about MORE snow so early in the year but WOW, what a positive spin you put on things! Wish we were there to "enjoy" the snow AND the cinnamon rolls. ~Grma P

Alicia said...

What a fantastic idea. I think I officially need to get better at baking bread because yours looks amazing! I remember getting all bundled up when it would rain and my mom and dad taking us for long walks in it topped off with hot chocolate in the end. To this day I love the rain. =) Hurray for great parents!

Kath and Steve said...

Steven says that he thinks his bread and cinnamon rolls look better... LOL! He is always competitive I guess that is what happens growing up with mostly boys... The kids are adorable by the way and I have so much fun keeping up with you. I decided I liked it when people commented on mine so I better start commenting on others. The belly pictures are now up. Love you!!!

Katie said...

LUKE! It has been so long. I just stumbled across your blog by chance! I heard from somewhere that I can't even remember now that you were married and living in Alaska. And that was the last I heard. You have a beautiful family!! I am so happy for you!
-Katie (Rau) Holley
www.holleynews.blogspot.com

Katie said...

P.S. On my blog you'll find links to some old Ricks friends if you want to see what they're up to: Chaci, Debbie, Miquelin, and Kayla's photography business all have blogs!

Anonymous said...

Kristen the bread and cinnamon rolls look so good. Thanks for the kind words. Love You Mom
I'm going to see if I have figured out how to make a comment on here

Garling Ranch said...

Here are the blog sites of other Cali Colombia Missionaries
http://www.lkmpeless.blogspot.com/
http://www.nbakbeautifullife.blogspot.com/
http://gulbransblog.blogspot.com/
http://robisonsumo.blogspot.com/
http://www.burntham.com/